The original structure, a historic Carnegie library built in 1908, has been added to over the years in ways that were not sensitive to the original forms. Adjacent to a city park, the proposed design reorients the library by closing the adjacent side street and linking these two valuable city assets. The resulting configuration places the new entry to the library facing the park, thereby enhancing the setting with an appealing “front lawn”. The extent of the addition provides the opportunity to significantly change the look of the 1970’s additions and re-inforce the elegant forms and geometry of the original building.
Proposed in 2004, the project remains inactive.